Tuesday, March 18, 2008

prayer is the antidote for worry

i wanted to share a few insights that I received from my small group study this week...

in reading some of the related verses to this week's scripture (matthew 6:24-34) i spent some time in philippians. philippians 4:6-7 says, "do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

my footnotes said that the two greatest opposing forces in the Christian experience are anxiety and prayer. wow! are you anxious? pray. thanksgiving is the antidote to worry, along with prayer and petition.

i know this is so true for my life. when i find myself worrying about something i try to focus on my blessings and often my little problems don't seem so bad after all. for example, here i am worrying about my flight to chicago with jonah and dave this weekend. but you know what? i'm not addicted to heroine. i don't have cancer or pneumonia. i'm healthy. i could afford two plane tickets and a dvd player to hopefully keep my toddler amused. i'm going to visit friends and family that love me and can't wait to see me. what in the heck am i worrying about?!?! seriously.

isn't this exciting?! this journey we're on with God and with each other?! i'm excited to see what God's going to teach me this week as he stretches me!

God, you are Good, Gracious, Merciful, Gentle, Never Changing, my Keeper, my Hiding Place, Through All & Above All... and for that i am sooooo grateful! Hallelujah!

No comments: